Saturday 6 July 2013

Creating Crystal Jewellery: The Reveal {Bead, Book & Bounce}

Each month, as part of our regular feature - Bead, Book & Bounce - we choose one of the most popular beading and jewellery making books and challenge our readers to dust off the books on their shelves and create projects from their neglected library. 

Over the last two months, we've been working from Laura McCabe's much loved book, Creating Crystal Jewellery, beading and bezelling with lots of Swarovski Sparkle.


The lovely Vicky Roberts tells me that Creating Crystal Jewellery is one of her favourite beading books. "It's an excellent resource, for advanced beaders as well as absolute beginners, because there's a range of projects to suit all levels. There's also an extremely handy reference section at the beginning of the book that tells you how many seed beads are needed to start a bezel for different sizes and shapes of Swarovski Rivolis, Stones & Shapes."

Using a combination of techniques covered in the patterns for the Crystal Burst Ring and Crystal Burst Bracelet, Vicky has made a beautiful pair of crystal cascade style earrings, which match the simple - but stunning - Spiral Stitch Bracelet that she has made up using the same materials. I'm hoping that she won't notice if I steal them the very next time that I'm at The Bead Shop Liverpool!



Bead, Book & Bounce 'Regular', Ericka Stafford, has also been busy bezelling - making this beautiful My Crown Jewels Pendant. Ericka says "Although probably not suitable for an absolute beginner, I feel that most beaders would be able to follow her instructions and make something to be proud of! This is one of my favourite books and I use it frequently. It's even more special as Laura signed it for me at the first of her workshops I attended! She is such a lovely person and a brilliant teacher too."


A dab hand now at using Laura's methods to bezel stones, Ericka had no difficulties with that part of the pattern. However, creating the tabs became a little bit of a trial and she turned to fellow OTTBS Facebook Group Member, Kim - whose own version of the pendant inspired Ericka's choice for this project!


"I found stitching the tabs straightforward, but when I came to add the top and bottom I realized that I had made a mistake, as I was unable to add three stitches and still have the tabs in the centres. I managed to remedy this by only adding two beads for the tabs instead of three! This worked ok, but obviously my corner gap was then two big for the 3mm beads. I found that using 4mm beads instead solved this problem and fitted the space nicely. Kim kindly explained where I had gone wrong, so next time I am sure I will be able to make it perfect!"

I'm thinking that it looks like perfection, as it is - and especially love Ericka's colour choice!

If you have made any pieces from Creating Crystal Jewellery, please share your own projects with us using the Mr Linky. 
  • Please link directly to your Creating Crystal Jewellery blog post, so that we can find it easily. 
  • Please leave a comment here when you link up your project. 
  • Please try to visit the blogs of other participants when you can. We all love a bit of love!
We'll be issuing a new Bead, Book & Bounce challenge tomorrow, so please do pop back to see what book we'll be working from over the next two months - it's a good one!

4 comments:

NEDbeads said...

That set of Vickie's is sooooooo pretty!!!!! And I love that Ericka was able to adjust to use the 4mm crystals, too - I would have been scared to try that after all the bezeling, but she was brave and saw it through with wonderful results! Great blog post, I love your writing skills, Clair! :)

Peapod Beads said...

Thanks for the suggestion of the book, I need to revisit several of the projects now I've had more practice!

Clair said...

Really, really lovely pieces from Vicky and Ericka - and I can't wait to find out what everyone else has created. Off to visit all of the other links now...

Cat said...

Beautiful pieces on everyone's blog! I have added this book to my wishlist.